Another really good and credible thread on how to prevent covid transmission

Politics, current events, culture
Z6IIAB

Another really good and credible thread on how to prevent covid transmission

Post by Z6IIAB » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:41 pm

And why masks are important and help protect your health and other's as well:

https://twitter.com/jljcolorado/status/ ... 76420?s=20

Science divulgators using social media are pivotal to help people undo their prejudices against mask use.
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.

RikkiTikkiTavi

Re: Another really good and credible thread on how to prevent covid transmission

Post by RikkiTikkiTavi » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:11 am

Great source of info. Thanks for providing it.

I wear a mask anytime I am in an enclosed space where people gather that is not my home. I made the effort to find a type of mask that fit me well. The exterior is cloth with a compartment for a filter. I fitted an N59 mask within the compartment and made sure the mask stays on my nose - does not have gaps and reacts when I breathe so I know it is doing its job.

Once I have it on I barely notice it because I have conditioned myself to wearing this simple and effective self defense.

We wear seatbelts in cars. We wear shoes on our feet. We (hopefully) use hearing protection when exposed to loud noises. We (hopefully) thoroughly wash our hands multiple times a day. All of these things are a bit bothersome physically but we can adapt to them. Masks are a part of healthy living in the Covid world.

grabachair

Re: Another really good and credible thread on how to prevent covid transmission

Post by grabachair » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I must live in a different world from y'all - I haven't worn a mask in months, and it would be passing strange to see anyone wear one out and about. I see a few each week, but that's about it. I live in a rather progressive town, but maybe it's different in the Midwest?

Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:01 pm

grabachair wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:10 pm
I must live in a different world from y'all - I haven't worn a mask in months, and it would be passing strange to see anyone wear one out and about. I see a few each week, but that's about it. I live in a rather progressive town, but maybe it's different in the Midwest?
you're probably doing it wrong, and so are those people around you. yeah, there's people acting like you, I've seen them everyday. this is why covid keeps spreading and in some places cases are rising. please, at least change your behaviour. have you read the thread? are you well-informed? doesn't look so. also, midwest, USA? because I don't live there. but yeah, we've got idiots in my country too, plenty of them.
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.

grabachair

Post by grabachair » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:51 pm

We have high rates of vaccination or natural immunity, at least in my area. Daily deaths for my state are around 20 - far less than heart disease, cancer, auto accidents, lots of stuff. Masks seem to help with some of the spread (though the most comprehensive study, the one out of India, showed zero effect for people under 30 and almost no effect under 60) but given the new drugs take hospitalization to very low and death risk down to almost zero, we've chosen to go back to something like normal.

We can't go on forever in fear of covid, any more than we could live in fear of nuclear war. It's moved from pandemic to 'background evils of the world' and it's not going away any time soon, so I think a lot of people have just accepted it. That 1000% sucks, but we've just accepted that life is risk, and all those awful things like cancer and drowning and even the flu have a new player on their team.

Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:53 am

Yep, ill informed.

RikkiTikkiTavi

Post by RikkiTikkiTavi » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:26 pm

So I will just leave this article right here...

Social distancing is pointless without a mask, Cambridge University study suggests
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... ience.html

Within that article is this:
There has been fierce scientific debate about how well masks work at reducing Covid transmission, despite nearly every country in the world mandating or encouraging their use.

Lab tests and observational studies have shown masks can block infected people from exhaling up to 80 per cent of the virus into the air and also protect wearers from inhaling up to 50 per cent of the particles...

Any protection offered can also depend on the type of mask worn, with medical-grade coverings much better than cloth or surgical masks, as well as if someone wears them correctly.
So, sure you can find studies that disagree about benefits of masks - but most of that difference is due to user error in wearing the mask.

I equate the 'just accept Covid deaths' as very similar to 'just accept STDs'. In the Covid case, people refuse to wear masks, in the STD case people refuse to wear condoms. In both the mask and the condom we can say they are 'unnatural' and they don't feel as good as not wearing them. But in both cases they protect both the person wearing them and the people they are in contact with.