Just Some Randomness

Talk about whatever
Russly

Just Some Randomness

Post by Russly »

We finally hit another lull in the forum and as someone who apparently is active here I felt the obligation to write whatever comes to mind today. I'm writing this as I think of it. Not really sure anything substantial is afoot though. My week kind of sucked but for the right reasons so that's all good.

We're getting to that time when the comic starts to wrap up the year. This will be fun. The depth has sort of reached cathartic heights and I love that because when an artist is the master of their craft then they get to hold grudges. Just read another chapter in one of my "books written by people with a grudge", this one's written in the seventies, Engines Of Creation. No lie half the chapter is about how memes can turn parasitic and that was how long before the internet?!
Z6IIAB

Re: Just Some Randomness

Post by Z6IIAB »

Russly wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:31 pm No lie half the chapter is about how memes can turn parasitic and that was how long before the internet?!
i'm guessing "memes" there is not the same as images or text that hold a joke which's shared by a lot of people. what does it say exactly? sounds interesting.
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.
Russly

Post by Russly »

It's from 1986 and references when Richard Dawkins first made up the term meme. The crazy part is 90% of it still applies even today....

-Russly
Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB »

Russly wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:41 pm It's from 1986 and references when Richard Dawkins first made up the term meme. The crazy part is 90% of it still applies even today....

-Russly
ohh, so it was what I was thinking, a scientific term for a behavior seen in social creatures, like humans.
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.
RikkiTikkiTavi

Post by RikkiTikkiTavi »

And here I was thinking that meme was something of the internet. I looked up meme and found this:

"meme, unit of cultural information spread by imitation. The term meme (from the Greek mimema, meaning “imitated”) was introduced in 1976 by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in his work The Selfish Gene"
Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB »

RikkiTikkiTavi wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:02 am And here I was thinking that meme was something of the internet. I looked up meme and found this:

"meme, unit of cultural information spread by imitation. The term meme (from the Greek mimema, meaning “imitated”) was introduced in 1976 by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in his work The Selfish Gene"
yup! hehehe, it defs predates the internet.
Russly

Post by Russly »

Yep was around a decade even before my book!

-Russly