I love JK Rowling so much <3

Politics, current events, culture
Z6IIAB

I love JK Rowling so much <3

Post by Z6IIAB »

She's so strong, I'm so proud of being a Harry Potter fan, even thought it's casual. Joanne will be remembered in history as one of the great women who fought against this revamped misogyny and homophobia we are seeing in transactivism nowadays. Mark my words.
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.
RikkiTikkiTavi

Re: I love JK Rowling so much <3

Post by RikkiTikkiTavi »

I read most of the Harry Potter books and enjoyed them a lot. If I had been a child reading them they would have been my favorite books of all time.

I never have understood the controversy over her words, which when examined are very straight forward and even compassionate.

Her first 'controversial' statement.
‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?
Clearly she is conveying irritation about how the word woman has been removed from our language. How is this hateful?

And then she posted this:
“If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth,” she tweeted. “The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—i.e., to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense.”

She continued, “I respect every trans person’s right to live any way that feels authentic and comfortable to them. I’d march with you if you were discriminated against on the basis of being trans. At the same time, my life has been shaped by being female. I do not believe it’s hateful to say so.”
That is actually quite a compassionate statement.

Yet some people think this is horrible 'hate speech' and she deserves to be cancelled and threatened with death and just recently it is okay for people to take pictures outside her home and post her address online.

She is brave and she does not back down. I am totally in awe of her.
Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB »

Thanks for making that recap! Concise and beautiful. For real, people saying she was "awful" did not read a single word she said.
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.
2TERF2NERF

Post by 2TERF2NERF »

JK is bae! :D :D 8) I loved the books growing up but loved them even more after following her on Twitter, lol! And Fall/early Winter is just the perfect time for a re-read.

She's a good person and gives all of her proceeds from all of the non-book licensing to charity too!
I'm not anti-trans, just pro-woman :wink: :mrgreen: :wink: :idea: :wink:
NAS

Post by NAS »

Z6IIAB wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:31 am

She's so strong, I'm so proud of being a Harry Potter fan, even thought it's casual. Joanne will be remembered in history as one of the great women who fought against this revamped misogyny and homophobia we are seeing in transactivism nowadays. Mark my words.
I think you may be wrong on this one. There's a fairly sharp divide right now between the political left and right on weather or not a man can be a women by identifying as such in the eyes of the law and/or various organizations (ie prisons).

What i mean is those who say "yes all who identify as women are women" and are very vocal about it seem to be overwhelming on the left.

The problem with this is that although there are those who disagree with them on the left they will find themselves unable, or perhaps more accuratley, unwilling to challenge their position.

So you end up with politions on the left willing to support those peoples views because they want to run as a Democrat and know that their support will make it possiblen, and then when they do run the citizens who disagree will still support them becuase they would rather someone on the left win even if they have bad views then someone on the right.

Therefore even if the belief doesn't become overwhelming supported it never dies away. And those who disagree are branded as evil by that vocal minority, so history will remeber her as such.

I know that was long winded, but I think what I'm really getting at is that the only way to avoid something like this is if

a large portion of the vocal minority joins the right so that it can equally represented on both sides(not likely and not something that those outside the vocal minority can controll) that way they can be dismissed by both the left and the right without letting the other win.

Or

Those who disagree have to refuse to accept their position and those who support it. This means that when a democrat says they agree with the vocal minority the rest of the citizens who would otherwise vote Democrat have to say either stop supporting the vocal minority or I will vote republican. It's possible that the polition would chose to abandon the vocal minority view at thay point but more likely they will assume its a bluff because they know those very same people who are making that threat woukd be loathed to actually vote republican. Which is where the truly hard part comes in. They would have to actually follow through with the threat, nto just refuse to vote Democrat but actually vote republican. It would have to be a landslide victory against that one candidate to demonstrate to others why supporting such a fringe view is not a viable way to get elected, and in so doing that fringe view will die down on its own.

But since I dont think people are willing to let one candidate lose an election ti the other side even for the longterm benefit of the party as a whole, I expect that things will continue and Rowling will be remembered poorly.

Just like the vocal minority on the right wasn't challenged when pollitions like Trump supported them for political gain becuaese too many on the right think better to have them than lose to a Democrat, too many on the left think the same way.

Maybe I'm wrong. But tell me would you be willing to vote republican to send a message that it's unacceptable to support the vocal minority, and call for others to do the same if a Democrat in your riding was doing it?

Also been a while since I came back to post hiws everyone doing?