UNCLE SAM IS DEAD

Talk about the comic
Z6IIAB

UNCLE SAM IS DEAD

Post by Z6IIAB »

Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.
Russly

Re: UNCLE SAM IS DEAD

Post by Russly »

It's true the United States is perhaps on its way out?

-Russly
Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB »

Russly wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm It's true the United States is perhaps on its way out?

-Russly
finger crossed LMAO but seriously, I don't think so. Also, wouldn't you know? Bc you live there, right? No? I mean, I assumed lol
Call me Celina. This forum still have a long way to go until it gets filled with its intended public. And I'll do my best to help us reach that goal. I'm a battleaxe, and when you hear my voice it'll be as loud as a thunder and as clear as a blue sky.
bcasan

Post by bcasan »

The United States is ALWAYS “on the way out;” that is our strength. We have social upheavals with every new generation. And we have outright revolutions about every 40-60 years. We have even had an entire shooting war that went on for four years, with many thousands dead and maimed.

Other societies have said, “That’s it! They’re done this time.” Nope; we come out of our rages, and our despond, and we pour the magic of our Constitution all over the ruins. And we re-invent America.

Bet against that. See what your bet is worth in twenty years.
Tanagra

Post by Tanagra »

He was already pretty much a zombie. I'll wait and see where he's going next. After all, that's Liberty there.
Z6IIAB

Post by Z6IIAB »

bcasan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:25 pm The United States is ALWAYS “on the way out;” that is our strength. We have social upheavals with every new generation. And we have outright revolutions about every 40-60 years. We have even had an entire shooting war that went on for four years, with many thousands dead and maimed.

Other societies have said, “That’s it! They’re done this time.” Nope; we come out of our rages, and our despond, and we pour the magic of our Constitution all over the ruins. And we re-invent America.

Bet against that. See what your bet is worth in twenty years.
I think it's cute you forgot to mention the inumerous terrorists attacks to other countries (middle east, japan), installement of coups - especially in latinamerica - and general imperialiastic behaviour. USA is not that kind of "heroic" nation you seem to be proud of. Get some perspective. You guys are villains. As a latinamerican, I wish you could sit down and chill.
Russly

Post by Russly »

I often notice Celina has a good sense on the reality of many classic topics. Where us Americans get short sighted, I see that refreshing perspective from outside that reminds me that essentially all non US residents sort of looked at the Trump era with that kind of "no way" look. Most other foreigners I know take Celina's stances on pretty much everything I ever see posted here. The no nonsense classic radfem type of deal (this perhaps applies with Tavi as well). What amazes me is how few classic radfems even peruse the damn forum, but at least this way the forum isn't some dumb echo chamber, sorry to say!

Not that everyone else here is an American. As a US citizen myself, I am torn between plenty of contradictions. What is true enough for me is that on a broader level, left means normal and right means political. Also that we still remain the world's reserve currency somehow. Was it barely making it to the moon first that got us enough credit? If 90% of the US is evil, where's the remaining ten? We maybe won't ever get to a truly atoned state, though keep in mind I don't see many countries that were founded on peace and love either-- we do originate from nature it seems.

I think Tat has abandoned the Buddha, the in comic avatar, any notion of fireworks or rebirths (bring Sam to the Reality Zone? Oh wait it's fenced off), or even any Vainglorious arc as it stands. We're totally in the dark, although perhaps he really does want Sam dead-- at the least as a way for Tat to stop himself from remaining a commentator on America.... The philosopher's pace so to speak, losing oneself in one's own musings.

I keep coming back to that episode of My Name Is Earl where he freaks out about China polluting and they explain he has to start from home and his own recycling.

-Russly
respira

Post by respira »

I hardly ever come on the forum but today I did, to ask Tatsuya to please...

BRING BACK Buddha! Dragon! Vainglorious!

So Russly, your comment made me at least happy I'm not the only one who remembers them
bcasan

Post by bcasan »

I said nothing against you,Z6IIAB, or your country. You replied with a rant. Consider who needs the “chill.”
Russly

Post by Russly »

No no she's right but this is one of those far fetched situations.... And by that I mean, in the radical feminist forum, the chill one is often not necessarily correct. She's like 80% right to me on this thread.

-Russly
grabachair

Post by grabachair »

Celina, you lack accurate and complete historical perspective about the United States. While we have our share of missteps, as does any human institution, we are far and away the last, best hope for human freedom in the world.

Consider: if we are such a horrible villain as you claim, why aren’t Americans fleeing to Venezuela or Chile? Why instead do I work with numerous Venezuelans and Chileans and other South and Central Americans who came here and love it as their adopted home? I think paraphrasing Winston Churchill is appropriate here: The USA is the worst country, except for all the other ones.

A book that can help you here:
A History of the American People by Paul Johnson. He’s a British guy who gives an outsider perspective and a fair, warts-and-all history of the US.

If you disagree, please provide me examples of countries with a better track record of protecting human freedom and democracy.
Russly

Post by Russly »

Holy shit Uncle Sam may be dead but this forum sure is alive!

Also, does anybody know Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen?

-Russly
grabachair

Post by grabachair »

Russly, I read "Lies My Teach Told Me" years back and found it interesting but ultimately propaganda. His core message is that American history classes omit the difficult truths - Columbus was lucky to survive at all, then got involved in tribal politics; Abraham Lincoln did not think racial equality was possible; etc. I wasn't as impressed by these revelations, having had solid history courses in high school and read on my own since.

Where Loewen really stumbles is that he provides no contextualization around any of these facts, instead demonstrating a very hard left slant and painting with the biggest White Guilt (TM) brush he can find. Without the context of historical figures, we fall into the trap of judging them exclusively by our own modern sensibilities. Context matters. Imagine if I had a history book that told you about the Minneapolis unrest of 2021, painting it as 'heinous riots' - but I never mentioned the death of George Floyd. The book is like that but insert historical white dudes instead.

It's why I prefer Paul Johnson's history (mentioned above) instead. He gives the full picture at each era of American history instead of trying to lean you either progressive or conservative.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Sure there will be plenty of people who do think of the USA as the best country in the world and humanity's best hope for freedom etc. I think there will also be plenty who see it as a pretty distorted place, where you're fine if you have enough money and pretty screwed otherwise. Not as bad as Dubai or somewhere like that, but definitely too far along the extreme capitalism scale in the eyes of many.

Certainly seems strange not even to be considering places like Canada, New Zealand, or Europe (especially Scandinavia) as maybe better models of free and democratic society, where those things might not be quite so much for sale.
Vancore

Post by Vancore »

Glad to see him go, he was taking up time from the other characters. Also liked the way he went, it was pretty fitting, nice little drama there. Looking forward to seeing where Tat takes this now.